Monday, February 23, 2009

Transient thoughts



How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.
-Annie Dillard

Ahh...finally home again! Babou, Loco O and I got back from our road trip Friday afternoon and have been settling in and having friends over much of the weekend. It is so good to be home and get back to a routine for a bit before we go back to visit the Old Man again. All this traveling takes a toll on me sometimes. I keep waiting somehow for my life to even out to begin taking things seriously, like my diet, writing, and running. But I have to realize these things have to be portable because my life is portable and this is the way we live.

It keeps one flexible for sure. I realize that I just have to think about it a bit. Trying to write on the road was much easier with a laptop but still difficult as the places I stayed didn't have internet access. So much of the time it proved too inconvenient to post. So I didn't, but I think next time I will still write and then post when I have the chance. No excuses.

Also, I ate way too much and ate out more than was necessary. Sometimes it was unavoidable, but much of the time it wasn't. My Old Man's place has a kitchen and I could have cooked more. The reservation he is staying on has really great local produce and I should have taken more advantage of that. Next time I will make myself lunches to eat on the road so as to avoid the fast food slippery slope.

Keeping up with running was hard. I kept up the minimum but with all the time in the car it was really hard. And now it is raining so much that I can't go running with Babou at all and am having to do these horridly cheesy aerobics tapes and hop up and down in my living room! My daughter looks confused, my dog scared!

But, overall, I am so glad I went on this trip. I had a great time for Valentine's Day, got to see both Sophia Katrina and Practical Sis and play with their little ones. ElleBee and I got to check out my alma mater and Cal Poly and practiced driving! I got to meet Jenn at Juggling life AND Yo from Write on Yo! Very cool! And I love road trips, who am I kidding?

I just realize more and more that this is my life and that it is not changing and that I do like it, I like that I get to go places and do different things, I have always loved traveling. But I do realize that it is harder with an entourage than alone and that I can no longer wait until "Monday" to start my diet and exercise goals. That life starts now and doesn't stop. THis is my life and I have to do what I love and is important to me everyday rain to shine traveling or not. Every day presents itself as an opportunity and challenge and I just have to do the best I have with what I've got and be consistent. These are my thoughts and goals this wintry Monday morning.

5 comments:

Yo said...

it was so great meeting you. i looked at my camera and all the pictures were of babou! she didn't give me hives! she cured me! now i will procreate.

i love that you're on the road. i feel like moving, i haven't had a good move in a few years. like, to a whole new city. i contemplated moving to denver, it's so gorgeous there and it's like a playground with the mountains and hiking and climbing.

you always have a place to stay with me :D as long as you make pad thai.

Yo said...

oh, and you'll get the hang of the running. when do you find out if you're running it? that'll get you motivated.

Anonymous said...

I'm so utterly, utterly jealous...I want to meet those two too!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky--meeting them! Wow. I had similar thoughts this morning--I need to get into more of a routine, yet I'm afraid of sitting too still which I've done too much of lately...we used to move every 4 years and I'm resisting change when I still know how much I love it.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I was so happy to meet you--though it all seemed too brief.

You look fantastic, but I know what you mean. You are lucky to live in a beautiful place for hiking--it is wonderful to be able to soothe the soul as well as exercise. Watching Oprah while doing the elliptical is not quite the same.