Monday, January 12, 2009

A Day of Transition


The unexamined life is not worth living.
-Socrates

Finally starting to feel better after a serious bout with a tenacious cold. Still tired and basically run down, however. Mr. Jo is working out of town this week, he left early this morning, and when I say early, I mean EARLY like 3 am early.

I also restarted the "baby exchange" I do with my old neighbor today, and consequently spent most of my morning and early afternoon attending to two two-year-olds--fun but exhausting.

So I am feeling sort of hum drum today. I always get a little sad the first day Diver leaves for a job, it's just transitioning to being alone again. He works out of town more often than not but it is still a transition every time he comes comes and goes.

On the positive side, I usually take the time to focus on my writing, keeping more on track with healthier, more vegetarian meals, and in general getting lots of stuff accomplished since I am not as distracted with as much cooking, cleaning and laundry.

But I am usually pretty lonely and sad the first day he goes. So that is where I am. I am trying to not let it get to me, nor try to force myself to do too much but rather sort of let the day be as it will be, a day of transition.

Tomorrow I am planning on writing about my experiences growing up, sort of paralleling Mary Alice's. I think looking at an experience through different eyes gives a balance and body to memory and reality. It sort of pains me to write about it because I think sometimes that if you dwell too much on the past you are giving it too much power. But I also recognize that there have been one too many synchronicities that have called upon us to reflect on our experiences. Pasts unexamined can sometimes have just as much a pull backwards as those too much dwelled upon.

So I will be posting that tomorrow morning and hopefully I can shed some light on my own experience. Self reflection is sometimes a double edged sword and I hope I can achieve a balance.

2 comments:

Yo said...

this story that you sisters have is very interesting. have you ever read the boxcar children? i vaguely recall reading it when i was younger. and i wanted to live in a boxcar and keep my milk in the stream to keep it cold.

i'm sorry you feel out of sorts! oh, and your sister katrina said you didn't have my link... it's

writeonyo.typepad.com

happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your introspection--I agree, it can be healing and it can overcome--so do so with balance, sister!