Monday, January 14, 2008

Recipe of the Week

This is one of my favorite recipes because it is quick and easy while looking and tasting impressive.

Pan seared steak with balsamic onions and blue cheese

Steaks, I usually use Rib-Eye or New York and serve one per person (6-8 ounces each)
Red onion, thinly sliced (one per steak)
Balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup per onion
Blue or gorgonzola cheese, 1/4 cup per steak, or however much you like

Add olive oil and a little butter to a frying pan and set on high heat. While pan is heating, slice onions and salt and pepper steaks. Cook steaks about 3-5 minutes on both sides (for medium/medium rare). Place cooked steaks on plate and let rest while you add onions to same pan and deglaze with balsamic vinegar (add more olive oil at this point also, if need be). Turn down the heat and let onions melt into the vinegar, this usually takes the same amount of time it takes for the steaks to rest before cutting, about 10 minutes. Take the onions and balsamic vinegar off the flame. Slice the steak and top with blue cheese, top blue cheese with balsamic vinegar and onion sauce. You can serve this alone with a salad and roasted potatoes, or you can serve it simply over a bed of salad greens (I like arugula) mixed with a light balsamic dressing: equal portions olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a little sugar (I actually usually use splenda—it tastes great in this dressing).

Bon appetit!

7 comments:

Life As I Know It said...

YUM! Sounds great!

Mrs. G. said...

I'm South Beaching it, and I can have everything in this recipe. Yum. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks - sounds delicious! I happen to have all those ingredients handy, too. It just might be our dinner for tomorrow.

Jo said...

Mrs G: I am south beaching it too! I had tried this diet before Christmas and was on phase 1 for about 4 weeks and lost 17 lbs! Then Christmas happened and...well let's just say I am going back on it now! That's why the recipe is so south beach friendly! I have lots more good south beach phase 1 friendly recipes I will post more of those for my recipes of the week--think sexy lentils!

Jo said...

Dear Ophelia Rising--let me know if you try it!

Dear Life as I know it--it is pretty tasty if I do say so myself--you should try it, its really easy and quick and fanccy but not really. I made it for one of my best friends birthdays and she loved it.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, anything with onions and I'm in!

smileymamaT said...

mmmmMMMmmmm. That sounds so good. I just read your last post too.
I am lucky to be married to a Frenchman with a love of cooking (he trained in cuisine at college, too) but regrettably there is no tourism market here to accommodate the salary one would expect... so he works at the phone company! But he's a very creative cook for gatherings and parties. He's looking to open an weekend catering business.