Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A different day


The goal of life is to live in agreement with nature.
-Zeno (335-264 BC) from Diogenes Laertius, Lives of Eminent Philosophers

The weather has turned, and turned fiercely. Yesterday it was in the nineties, and the heat left me blank and in the moment. I have been overly busy lately, and yesterday was a brief respite from the busy-ness. I had a day, somewhat, to myself.

I got to go out to lunch with one of my favorite friends, an artist and graphic designer, who is that beautiful combination of confidante, mentor, and friend. We were planning the menu for her annual Open Studios party, which I am catering again this year. I came up with a list of ideas and we decided on a really delicious menu--the party should be fun, it always is--in the garden, surrounded by roses and art!

Here is the menu we decided on...

Cinnamon and Coriander encrusted pork tenderloin in a pomegranate balsamic sauce

Curried couscous salad with sundried cranberries, green onions, and toasted almonds

Fresh arugula and corn salad with roasted red peppers in a balsamic vinaigrette

Roasted vegetable focaccia sandwiches with smoked gouda cheese and cilantro pesto.

Thinly sliced sweet cantaloupe served with a trio of prosciutto

I will make everything except the arugula salad and sliced melon the day before for ease the day of the party. I need to do as much ahead as I can because it is a challenge with Babou and the Old Man may be back working in southern California by then...

I spent the afternoon trying to keep cool in the backyard. Naked sprinkler jumping was Babou's happiest way of keeping cool!

That evening, I met up with my over-the-fence runner neighbor, to practice the Dipsea Trail. Although I missed the application, I am still training with her and plan on doing the whole trail in a practice run. I realize I am not much of a competitor, but the trail is truly magical and I want to make it the whole way, every year, as sort of a spring ritual. As I made my way along the trail I realized, again, how important nature is to my mental and physical health. How being a part of the terrain changes you, reminds you of your place, and is as much about rejuvenating your spirit as it is about training your body.

I came home spent, renewed, and happily thoughtless. The heat and trail had cleared a space in my overly busy brain for a little peace to reside.

4 comments:

Katrina Hazel, Recruitment Hero said...

I still can't believe you ran when it was that freaking hot.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a grand day! Hot, you say? I am green with envy.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Melon and prosciutto is one of all-time favorite combos. It all sounds amazing.

Anonymous said...

DUDE! You won! Go to Eco Women and claim your prize!